Friday, January 9, 2015

Top 10 Most Anticipated Movies of 2015

We've entered 2015, the age of... secret agents, deadly robots, furious road racers, superheroes, dinosaurs, force-wielders, and of course, a bunch of indie films that I wont hear of until October that'll most likely end the year with a bang. Before I get ahead of myself, I present to you the 10 films of 2015 that I'm looking forward to the most.

Now, this list doesn't necessarily foretell what I'm going to put on my Top 10 list of the year by December. It's just here to share with you what films I'm looking forward to the most. I may be excited to experience the popcorn fun it brings in the theater, I may be intrigued by what has been revealed about the film so far, or I may just be anticipating whether this film will be great or terrible. Let's get right to it. My Top 10 most anticipated movies of 2015:

10.) Silence

Silence, directed by Martin Scorsese. No official release date set.

First up is the Martin Scorsese film adaptation of the Japanese novel, Silence (by Shūsaku Endō). It follows the story of a Jesuit missionary in the 17th century who is sent to Japan to assist a Church in that area, but is later persecuted. That premise alone has me interested, and I have some general knowledge of that time and have yet to see a film about that. It's got great talent attached to it, with Scorsese being my main draw to it, but the film also stars Liam Neeson and Andrew Garfield. Those two are really good (great, even) actors, and I'm super excited to see them share the screen under the direction of Scorsese.

9.) Pan

Pan, directed by Joe Wright - July 24, 2015

Yes, you did read that right. Every year, I get excited for a new live-action version of a classic fairy tale, and every year, I'm disappointed. However, I put Pan on this list, because the trailer gave me a reason to believe that this one could be good, and when a movie of this size is on the tipping point between great and terrible, my anticipation for it just sky rockets. Anyways, the film focuses on the "untold origin story" (heh) of Peter Pan. Director Joe Wright's visuals looks hella good here, and the film stars Hugh Jackman, Rooney Mara, and Garrett Hedlund. I'm just hoping for a really pan movie.

8.) The Fantastic Four

The Fantastic Four, directed by Josh Trank - August 7, 2015

And another movie that's on the tipping point between great and terrible, The Fantastic Four. I should be purely excited for this movie. I should be jumping around the room, screaming it's title. It has found a great director in Josh Trank, who was practically born to do a sci-fi/superhero movie, and it has landed a pretty damn good writer with Simon Kinberg (who wrote X-Men: Days of Future Past). Plus, look at that cast! Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan, Jaime Bell and Toby Kebbell are all terrific actors who have proven themselves great up and comers. That should be more than enough to land it in the Top 5 of my most anticipated list by pure excitement alone, but every story (emphasis on story, not casting) details I'm hearing makes me question it being a good Fantastic Four film. I look forward to a teaser trailer, and I hope it all the best, but right now, I'm completely on the fence about it.

7.) Furious 7

Furious 7, directed by James Wan - April 3, 2015

Coming in furiously at number seven is Furious 7. I insanely love the (recent) Fast & Furious movies. They're dumb, over-the-top, insanely fun movies that pack a lot of heart. With the sudden and tragic passing of Paul Walker, I am happy to see that they're still continuing on his legacy, going at it full throttle. The action, the cars and the girls, all look sweet. The Rock flexes his muscle out of an arm cast. Yup. That trailer really boosted my excitement for the film. That last line though, "I don't got friends. I got family." Boom. That is what I love about these movies.

6.) Mad Max: Fury Road

Mad Max: Fury Road, directed by George Miller - May 15, 2015

More fury and roads in my number six pick. I admittedly know nothing about Mad Max. All I know is that he had a trilogy of movies that came out around 25-30 years ago, and this is sort of a reboot-sequel type of movie. Whatever it is, it looks awesome. The trailer really got my attention, and just those two minutes landed it at number six of my list. The action and chase scenes looks incredible, Tom Hardy looks like (and probably will) kick ass in the role, Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult transform into their roles (I mean seriously, almost unrecognizable), and I loooooove really fun, upbeat and creative action sequences.

5.) Kingsman: The Secret Service

Kingsman: The Secret Service, directed by Matthew Vaughn - February 13, 2015

Speaking of fun and upbeat action sequences, you know who directs those amazingly? Matthew Vaughn. Kingsman: The Secret Service is Matthew Vaughn's next film after Kick-Ass and X-Men: First Class (two of my all time favorite comic book films), and he's directing another one? Sign me the hell up. The film is kind of like James Bond, but very cartoony, over-the-top, and very rated R. Colin Firth, Samuel L. Jackson, Mark Strong, Michael Caine, and many up and comers star in this film, and it looks super entertaining. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this movie when it hits theaters in one month.

4.) Spectre

Spectre, directed by Sam Mendes - November 6, 2015

Bond is back in action. Skyfall was one of my favorite movies of 2012, and the whole team behind that movie (Sam Mendes, Daniel Craig, etc.) is coming back for Spectre, so naturally, I'm going to be excited for it. Plus, we also got the addition of Christoph Waltz as the main villain, Léa Seydoux and Monica Bellucci continuing the roster of Bond girls, Dave Bautista bringing back the old-school big henchmen, and we have the director of photography of Interstellar and Her, Hoyte van Hoytema, doing cinematography for this film.  They're all matches made in heaven, really. I admittedly don't know what Spectre is, but apparently, Spectre is to James Bond is what Hydra is to Captain America, so I expect a lot of conflict and a lot of trouble for Bond this go around, and I can't wait to see it all go down.

3.) Inside Out

Inside Out, directed by Pete Docter - June 19, 2015

It's been absolutely too long since I had a Pixar movie on one of my Top 10 most anticipated movies of the year lists. All the buzz I'm hearing about Inside Out suggests to me that it is Pixar's return to form after the pretty bland and generic Cars 2 and Monsters University. From the looks of the trailer, it looks to bring back the inventive and fun ideas that great animation movies are born from, and it does look to be like a very emotional film (a genuine pun).

2.) Avengers: Age of Ultron

Avengers: Age of Ultron, directed by Joss Whedon - May 1, 2015

You knew this was coming. Marvel is on a high streak right now, after knocking it out of the park two times in a row with Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy, so yes, I am totally excited to see what they're going to bring with Avengers: Age of Ultron. You got director Joss Whedon and the main Avengers team back to bring the popcorn fun you had with the first Avengers movie, and now we have the additon of Ultron, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Vision to bring a much needed sense of consequence to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. James Spader sounds great as Ultron, the actions sequences planned look great, and the film looks like it's going to really test and beat up their characters.

1.) Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Star Wars: The Force Awakens, directed by J.J. Abrams - December 18, 2015

Without a doubt, this is my most anticipated movie of 2015. I've loved Star Wars pretty much since I was 10 years old. I've watched the Original Trilogy many times (who hasn't?), and Empire Strikes Back is one of my favorite movies of all time. I love the universe and the wide array of stories that can be told, and the fact that they're coming back for an Episode VII just blows my mind. Thank you, Disney and Kathleen Kennedy. I'm mostly talking about Star Wars as a whole franchise here, but that's because that's the reason it's so high up on the list. Star Wars is a franchise that shapes blockbuster cinema, and now they're coming back from a carbonite sleep after the Prequels, and their first movie out the gate is being directed by the guy who revived Star Trek, J.J. Abrams. It's nice and comforting to know that Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, C3PO and R2D2 are coming back, but that magnificent teaser trailer showed us all these new characters (played by John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, and Andy Serkis), and gave us a peek at all the new stories they can tell. They're not tied down by being prequels, they're expanding the universe.  There are so many story directions this can go in, and it's just the first of many, and I'm just losing my mind over here. The power of Star Wars, folks.

Well, that's my Top 10 most anticipated movies of 2015. As you can see, most of the movies on my list have a thing in common, they're all being directed by great directors I have put my faith in. From the master of horror James Wan directing a Fast & Furious movie to the proven talent of directors like Matthew Vaughn, Martin Scorsese and Sam Mendes to the directors like Josh Trank and J.J. Abrams who're taking on the task of reviving franchises, they're all very talented directors who've managed to get me to anticipate their films.

I hope I've pointed you to the direction of films that I'm interested in seeing. There are a lot of movies I didn't include on this list, so voice your opinions in the comment section below so that I know what films you're interested in too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment