Wednesday, January 21, 2015

SELMA movie review

As far as I'm concerned, it's Martin Luther King week. Go out there and see this movie.


Selma tells the story of the campaign of activist Martin Luther King, Jr. to secure equal voting rights among American citizens through a march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama. The film is directed by Ava DuVernay and stars David Oyelowo as Martin Luther King, Jr.

I hadn't heard about this film until early December of last year, when it started getting some awards buzz. I was quite interested in the famous achievements of Martin Luther King, Jr. in pushing forward racial equality in America, so I was completely sold on the movie.


This is, in my opinion, one of the better made films of last year. Ava DuVernay did a fantastic job directing this film and giving life to this great story. The film was so powerful and moving. You could feel the weight behind every scene, every performance, and between every conflict between characters. She handled the brutality and the subject matter of that time period very well. I'm happy that a bunch of awards shows are giving her recognition for this film, but I'd still say she deserves a lot more praise. 

I have the same feelings towards David Oyelowo. The man delivered a stellar performance.He just transformed into Martin Luther King, Jr. He absolutely commanded the screen when he'd deliver some of Martin Luther's public speeches, and he'd also bring some emotional vulnerability to the role, showing us who Martin Luther King Jr was in his private life, with he wasn't being brave in front of crowds and armed soldiers. Of course, the supporting cast was great as well. To name a couple of them, Tom Wilkinson, Carmen Ejogo, Keith Stanfield all held their own and delivered very good performances in the film.


That's actually all of my thoughts on Selma. I'm sorry if it wasn't a very long review, but I don't really have anything else to add unless I go in-depth with the specifics of the scenes. There's not really any flaws I feel that are worth mentioning. The film has no significant flaws, at least to me.

Selma is a beautifully made, powerful and really moving film. David Oyelowo dominates throughout this movie, and the supporting cast is really great too. It's actually pretty relevant with what's going on today in some parts of the U.S. as well. Like its main character, it has powerful voice and would like you to all to hear it.




No comments:

Post a Comment