Sunday, November 9, 2014

INTERSTELLAR movie review

Christopher Nolan's 2014 space odyssey.


Interstellar is the ninth film directed by Christopher Nolan, known for films such as The Dark Knight and Inception. The film stars Matthew McConaughey as Cooper, a farmer in a not so distant future Earth, where the few surviving humans are struggling to live in a world running out of food and full of dust storms. Cooper is soon invited to join the crew that'll go to another galaxy in search for a new home and become mankind's last hope for survival.

I was very much looking forward to Interstellar, because Christopher Nolan is one of my favorite directors working today. I haven't seen all of his films, but four of his films are probably in my Top 30 of all time, so Interstellar was on my radar. I didn't want to know a lot going into the movie, so I avoided all news, all trailers, basically everything, because I wanted to experience everything for the first time while watching for the first time, and boy am I glad that I did.


Nolan succeeds in making this film an experience. It's so rare these days you're sitting there after watching a movie, and you say "yeah, I experienced that," and that's honestly how I felt after watching Interstellar. Nolan is a fantastic director, and he directed this amazingly. So many jaw-dropping moments of wonder and imagination, so many intense moments that'll leave you breathless, dialogue that leaves a lasting impact on you, just pure emotion. You can really feel the sincerity and passion Nolan put into this film.

The acting as well, just terrific performances across the board. Just Matthew McConaughey looking at a screen will break your heart. Anne Hathaway almost stole the movie with her monologue about love. However, the breakout star of this movie has got to be a child actress by the name of Mackenzie Foy, who steals nearly all of her scenes, and is the real emotional center of this movie. Without her giving a good performance, the whole movie may have failed, but she absolutely nailed it. There's a huge supporting cast, too many to go into detail specifically, but all fantastic nonetheless.

Jonathan Nolan does an excellent job writing too. Excellent, excellent job. The film is rich with themes of human nature, hope, and more importantly, love. Interstellar is the Nolans' deconstruction of something as illogical as love, and IT WORKS. (I'm not going to go into that, because if you haven't seen the movie, I want you to grasp and understand the themes yourself and your own way, so I'll leave it at that.) It's also brilliant how they used the premise of an "outer space adventure" as the backdrop for a real emotionally intimate film.


Speaking of outer space adventure, let me talk about the film on a technical standpoint. It's a visually beautiful film.The score by frequent Nolan collaborator Hans Zimmer is eargasmic. It was so powerful in the scenes that were already so emotionally powerful.

The cinematography by Hoyte van Hoytema was freaking beautiful, and dare I say it, out of this world. So many of the wide shots in outer space is so hauntingly beautiful, it just leaves a last impression on you. Aww, and combined with the breathtaking visuals, it just made me feel awe and wonder. Awe and wonder were on the big screen. There came times where I was actually convinced that this was real footage taken from a space craft or something. The movie is just so beautiful on so many different layers.



The movie is not without its flaws, that's for sure. The dialogue is hard to follow sometimes, at times it will feel melodramatic, and especially, a last twenty minutes that'll leave audiences divided, but I don't care.

Many of the flaws of the film are on the surface. You'd be shocked that they got past a director like Nolan, but you see, Nolan is more focused on the emotion of Interstellar. He's more concerned about what you feel than how this plot point makes sense or how this does that. Interstellar is a movie that'll make you think, sure, but it's more of a movie concerned on how it makes you feel. It's an experience. That's why some people will like the third act, some people won't. It's all about how you experience it, and that to me, is why I love it.

I can analyze movies all I want. I can learn new things about them, I can debate over the facts and the events that happen in them, but in the end, I go to the movies for the experience, the feeling you get after watching them. I go to the movies to go to that little happy place. That's what makes Interstellar a real special treat. It's a movie that puts emotion first.


Interstellar is a flawed movie where Christopher Nolan puts his passion, sincerity and emotion first to give us a great cinematic experience. It's beautiful and well-crafted on so many different levels. It's a movie that teaches us that love, hope, and optimism will transcend all.

No comments:

Post a Comment